Place 3 - Joe Herring, Jr.
May 2022 - 2024
Joe Herring Jr. is a Kerrville native, and a Tivy High School and University of Texas at Austin graduate.
He is married to his college sweetheart, Carolyn, and they have two grown children.
Since 1994, he has written a weekly column for the Kerrville Daily Times.
Other community involvement activities include:
Mayor, City of Kerrville, 1992-94. As mayor, instrumental in projects that
1) rebuilt the downtown area;
2) helped build a riverwalk;
3) implemented a curbside recycling program; and
4) helped establish Kerrville as a Texas Main Street City.
- Member, Kerrville City Council, 1990-94
- Member, Kerrville Public Utility Board, 1992-94
- President, Kerrville Kiwanis Club, 1992-93
- President, Kerrville Old Town (merchant group), 1994-95
- Member, Kerr County Historical Commission, Chair 2003
- Past Member, Kerrville Main Street Advisory Board
- Past Board Member, Arcadia Theatre Restoration Group
- Past Board Member, Riverside Nature Center Association
- Civic Leadership Award, Kerr County League of Women Voters, 1995
- Community Builder Award, Kerrville Masonic Lodge, 1996
- Reader's Choice Best Columnist, Kerrville Daily Times, 1996, 2003
- Board Member, Texas Lyceum 1996 - 2002
- Community Historian Award, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1998
- Member, Advisory Board, Any Baby Can, Inc., 2000-2005
- Chair, Kerrville Special Events Committee, 2000-2005
- Member, Board of Directors, Playhouse 2000, 2000-2012
- Chair, Church Council, Trinity Baptist Church, 2001-2002
- President, Symphony of the Hills Association, 2002-2005
- Member, Board of Directors, Kerrville Folk Festival, 2003-2006
- Member, Board of Directors, Kerrville Area Chamber of Commerce, 2005-2011
- Chair, Board of Directors, Kerrville Area Chamber of Commerce, 2009-2010
- Chair, Kerr County Sesquicentennial Celebration, 2006
- Citizenship Award, Sons of the American Revolution, 2006
- Kerrville Daily Times "Bill Dozier" Citizen of the Year, 2010