Short-Term Rental Units


The City of Kerrville has passed an ordinance that regulates short-term rental units within the city limits of Kerrville.  The ordinance (2022-30) establishes a new chapter (chapter 80) in the code of ordinances that is dedicated to short-term rental units.  

The ordinance is a culmination of months of work.  The ordinance was discussed in the Code Review Committee which proposed several regulations for zoning that impacted how short-term rentals units were regulated.   The City Council felt that additional modifications were needed after multiple concerns by citizens.  The City Council requested that a town hall meeting be conducted to obtain citizen input.  This resulted in an ordinance, however, after review, it was determined that more work was needed.  The City Council ordered that a Short-term Rental Committee be formed.  The committee met over several meetings and produced an ordinance that was ready to be reviewed.  After the first reading additional changes were made, however, the ordinance was adopted on the second reading on December 13, 2022.

What is a short-term rental?

Short-term rental unit means a facility used for the purpose of providing short-term lodging for compensation (i.e., less than 30 days), which may also be occupied concurrently as the residence for the owner, operator, or manager of the property, or providing separate lodging units such as cabins, guest homes, or similar residential-scale structures.

Where are short-term rentals allowed?

The City Council adopted ordinance 2022-28 that regulates where short-term rentals are allowed within the city limits of Kerrville.   The City Council allowed short-term rentals in the following zoning areas: 

  • R-1A = Single-family residential district with accessory dwelling unit (R-1A). Property located in a(n) single-family residential district with accessory dwelling unit. The R-1A district is similar to the R-1 district, allowing for single-family detached homes, but also permitting an accessory dwelling unit in addition to the primary residence. The accessory dwelling unit may be located within the main building or in a detached structure on the same lot as the main building. 
  • R-3 = Multifamily residential district (R-3)district allows the development of multiple apartments or condominiums on a single lot. Property zoned R-3 should have direct access to and/or frontage on a major arterial or collector street. Development in the R-3 district may provide a suitable transition between lower density residential uses and higher-intensity commercial areas. 
  • RT = Residential transition district (RT)district is designed to be a transition zone between single-family residential areas and commercial properties in certain areas of the city. Because of development regulations requiring the appearance of a business located in an RT district to be that of a single-family residence, this district is appropriate in particular areas of the city where some lots are occupied by single-family houses, but where limited business uses may be suitable under certain conditions and with specific compatibility measures. 
  • DAC = Downtown arts and cultural district (DAC)district is to provide for a pedestrian-oriented center for business, government, culture, and entertainment, supported by residential, retail, and restaurant uses, all of which combine to create a vibrant downtown environment in the city's historic business district. Development in this district will be denser than in other parts of the city because of minimal building setback requirements, special parking standards, and allowances for the use of public sidewalks for outdoor dining, streetscape improvements, and other pedestrian-oriented amenities. The goal of the DAC district is to complement and preserve the culture, heritage, and small-town character of the city's downtown area and to promote downtown as a center for the arts. The selection of permitted uses for the district is designed to allow an appropriate transition from the more commercial-oriented uses in the core of the district to the residential uses in the surrounding area. Protection of the integrity of the Guadalupe River, but better recognition of this important community asset, is also a goal of the DAC district. 
  • MU = Mixed use district (MU) The MU district allows residential and nonresidential uses to be combined 

For more information on zoning, contact Development Services Planning division.


The City of Kerrville has adopted the use of MyGovernmentOnline to manage the registration/permitting of short-term rental units.  Permits are issued after a fully completed application is received and reviewed.  The initial registration cost is $100 and the permit is valid for one year.  One permit is needed per individual unit.  

The owner/operator is responsible for paying the Hotel Occupancy Tax (HOT) every month to the city Finance department.  

Permits are renewed on an annual basis through MyGovernmentOnline.  The renewal fee is $50.  If you have any changes (i.e., like an updated floor plan or updated application information) since your original application was submitted, please include all the updated documents.  

If you need assistance, please contact Code Enforcement at 830-258-1172 or email at:


All short-term rentals are required to have a permit and follow all codes adopted by the City of Kerrville.  Complaints or concerns can be submitted via the following methods:

  1. Contact 830-258-1172 or email at
  2. During the evenings after 5:00 p.m. or on the weekends, you can submit a complaint via the City of Kerrville App.  The App can be downloaded from the Apple Store or Google Play
  3. In an emergency or if immediate attention is needed please call the Police Department or 911

Cancel a Permit

To cancel a permit, please contact Code Enforcement at 830-258-1172 or email at: